Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Life Update

You just never know what twist and turns life will take you on.  I've met with doctors, had everything checked out they can check, waited in waiting rooms till I want to scream and discovered through it all that I am so blessed.  When you get a serious health scare you really find out how special the people in your life are.  You know you have wonderful caring friends and family but when the chips are down you realize that you have the best life can offer.  If I could pick and choose my friends and family I couldn't have picked any better than I have.  Cancer sucks but it has taught me that the people in my life  are so special and what a blessing that is.

This picture was taken by my good friend Becky right before I was going to cut my hair off for the first time in 37 years.  She took many pictures of LB and me and they are wonderful.  It was after work for her, and it was hot and she did it because she is my friend.  This spot is at another friend's home.  She let us come out and take up part of their evening because she too is my friend.  These pictures mean a lot to me because I still felt great but knew life was changing and they also represent unwavering friendship.

The picture quality isn't great here since it was taken with a phone but it too is special.  This sweet man has put up with my hair for 20 years.  When he learned I was facing cancer again he was willing to do whatever he could for me.  Once I learned from the doctor that my hair was going to fall out he agreed to cut it for me so I could donate it to Pantene Beautiful Lengths.  He has never let me cut it short even when I demanded he cut it, but he said he would do it this time but not to ask again once it grows back in.  I think he was more nervous about cutting it than I was.  He has worried about me and kept in touch through everything I've been through so far.

We got two large ponytails to donate.  I hope they make someone happy.  I figured it would be better to donate it than watch it fall out and help no one.  Here is the first picture of the new me.

This is probably the worst quality picture ever but it is the only other picture I have with the new short hair.  We'd gone to dinner with LB's parents and his Mom snapped this picture.

I never thought I would have hair this short and it's been a bit of a learning curve to style but I actually like it.  Everyone has been so complimentary of it and it certainly is cooler than my long hair was.  Who knows maybe I'll keep it short after it comes back in.

The past couple of weeks have really been interesting and I have more to tell, but it is late and LB has gotten out of the bed to see if I'm okay since it is very early in the morning.  The last weeks bring to mind a favorite quote from Helen Keller that I'll end with.

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all."

Truer words I have never heard.  Hope you are having a great summer so far.  It's hot, hot, hot here.  Hope you are staying cool!

LOVE, LOVE, KISS, KISS!
SNM

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate the prayers and will do the same.
    I have a hard time getting to chemo too, especially by the third day...picture a stubborn donkey...but I try to look at it as live saving (instead of the poison it is)and that usually helps.
    Take care,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete