Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Picasso I am not...

I'm so not Picasso.  I can't paint a painting for the life of me.  I've tried.  I can't draw either.  I've embraced the suck and just moved on.  But, I learned I can cheat and create art that sorta passes for a painting.  

I started with this great tool.  If you haven't used one of these I recommend you run, not walk, to fetch one.  It is the bees knees for sure!

Then I went to Michael's and purchased this.  I used the coupon I got on the Michael's IPhone App.  If you have an IPhone I recommend you get this app.  No more worrying with paper coupons.  Just pull it up on your phone and the cashier can scan it.  Easy peasy!

I cheated here too.  Instead of taking the time to paint this with paint and a brush I used the DIY Diva's best friend.  Spray Paint.  I used a $.97 can of black spray paint from the Lowe's.  Painted in minutes and dries just about as fast.  I did a whole bunch at one time.  Then I took my vinyl I cut with the Cameo and just stuck it to the canvas.  It doesn't really want to stick but with a little patience you can get it to.

I then took an assortment of natural sea sponges and Martha Stewart Crafts Acrylic Craft Paint in different colors and went to town.  I learned that if I didn't like it to just keep applying more paint in more colors.  I bet I used 10 different colors.  Sponge, sponge, sponge, add color, sponge, sponge, sponge, add color and so forth and so on.  I did this until I liked the way it looked and then peeled off the vinyl.  This is what I ended up with.

Not too shabby for the girl who isn't an artist.  I really liked it once I actually hung it on the wall.  Unfortunately I gave it to my sister-in-law before I could get a picture of it hanging.  I have another one all ready to paint just haven't gotten around to doing it.

So that's my cheater art.   Have you ever tried a painting like this?  If not I highly recommend it.  You might find you are an artist after all.

Love, Love, Kiss, Kiss!
SNM

7 comments:

  1. I like it! It looks like something one would buy from a catalog or store for big bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky sis in law! I don't have a Cameo but this makes me want to run out and get one!

    What a fabulous, fun, unique piece of art!

    Glad you joined our Cinch party.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed. Seriously. And easy peasy impressive piece of art.

    I really need one of those Cameos ...

    Thanks so much for linking up to our Cinch party!

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing project! I think you have found a new use for spray paint (is that even possible...lol)! Perfect for my extra canvases I have upstairs.

    Thanks for linking to our "It's a Cinch" party.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely perfect. Oh how I yearn for spray paint that costs less than a dollar. :) Thanks so much for sharing this at our Cinch party! Karah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Van Gogh!
    I'm still on the fence about a stencil cutter, not sure if I would get my monies worth for it. I will have to sit back and watch what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete