Sunday, February 19, 2012

Awful to Awesome Chair

I found this chair at a local thrift store that I made LB go with.  He couldn't see anything but an awful icky chair, but I could see the bones and imagine what it would become.  It was $20 and I promised I would do something with it.  He didn't believe.  AT ALL.  See these bones?  Aren't they lovely?
Of course I didn't think to take any pictures before I ripped it apart or when I had daylight.

 This is the faux suede fabric that was on it.  Yes, that is a roach egg and mildew on it.  Gross didn't even begin to cover the condition.  I stripped it bare before I would bring it in the house in case something else thought it would make a lovely home.   Under that fabric was the most fabulous 70's wool looking plaid you have ever laid eyes on.  ICKO!!!!

Here she is in all her new glory.  I used Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Paris Grey.  I did two good coats then waxed with AS clear wax.  I then distressed it just a bit.  Not a lot, just here and there.  Then I used AS clear and dark wax to get some definition on all the groovy details on the frame.  I stripped the back and seat to the wood frame and started from there up.   New strapping, new memory foam, a layer of cotton batting and then topped it with this cotton fabric from Premier Fabrics.  Even LB thinks the chair looks awesome now.  What a doubter he is, so left brained...

Here's the chair with all the pillows I made to go on other pieces in the room.  The only pillow that stayed in the chair is the one with the monogram.  They are all Premier Fabric also.
The blue on the right arm is just a shadow.  That's what happens when you take pictures at 2 in the morning.

I now love this chair.  LOVE IT!  My hands did look like claws for a couple of days from pulling staples.  I swear I pulled a gajillion staples.  I think it was worth the claw look.  

I've never recovered a piece of furniture.  I just took it apart carefully and labeled everything as I went along.  If I can do it anyone can.  Have you ever recovered anything?

I finished a major huge project yesterday at the new job and was so tired when I got home I just went straight to bed.  Now that it is behind us I think I'll have a little more time at night to work on some projects that have been sitting waiting for me.  And that means I'll have more entertaining projects to show you!  Hope you had a great weekend!

Love, Love, Kiss, Kiss!
SNM



No comments:

Post a Comment