Thursday, February 9, 2012

I didn't mean to be a tease....

Okay so I didn't really mean to tease with a picture and then not post for days.  I ended up going to Atlanta with LB and the hotel wanted $15 a day for internet service.  Really?  This was a nice hotel and they can't provide free WiFi?  Even McDonald's has free WiFi.  But anyway...

So I took what was left of the drop cloth I used to cover the window seat cushion and decided I would make some pillows to jazz it up and bring the colors together.  Bear in mind I've never stenciled anything before, but I had never covered a cushion before either.  I used Martha Stewart craft paint and added textile medium and a Martha Stewart set of stencils.  A word of advice, start in the middle and work your way out.  Don't start on the edge and hope for the best.  Trust me on this.  LB commented immediately when he saw what I was doing that I started wrong.  Thanks so much big helper, where was he when I was starting?

 SO, here is what I ended up with.  And I used the remaining welting.  Go me!  Didn't want to waste that since it took forever to make.

 In the tease picture I only showed you the three patterns.  Once I sat them on the cushion I realized I needed another orange pillow or it would look wonky.  This is what I came up with.

 Then I had an even number of pillows.  That was never going to work and totally threw my chi off.  I dug through all the fabric in my studio, that's a lot of fabric, and found this oriental print.  I originally found Chiang Mai Draggon fabric by Schumacher online and wanted it for this space but the $ was WAY out of the kitchen budget.  Like there is no budget to work with so fabric that is over $200 a yard isn't even a pipe dream.  This fabric had all the colors of the other pillows and added a different texture to the whole thing so I made a pillow that was a little larger than the others.

I decided I want to make two more pillows to go on each end.  I'm going to make them from the solid I used to make the welting on the oriental pillow.  I hope to get them finished tomorrow and then I'll be done with this pillow business for a while.

So did you know there is actually fabric out there that cost hundreds of dollars for a yard?  I didn't.  And to be honest I doubt there will ever be any fabric that cost that much in this humble abode.  Although I'm certain the beasties that share our space would absolutely LOVE anything made out of fabric that cost that much.  After all they think we are their support staff and they would deserve something made from the costliest fabric we could find.

I went to one of my favorite places when in Atlanta.  I'll tell you about that soon.  Have a GREAT weekend!

Love, Love, Kiss, Kiss!
SNM

7 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE!!!! They turned out awesome! I'm going to have to try this project. Well, the painting part. I'ma need some help with the sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks S! You'd rock the painting part. It was a lot easier than I thought. I know someone who would help you with the sewing part.

      Delete
  2. Wow these are such a nice pop of color! By the way we have got to get you some followers I'm on board!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment and following.

      Delete
  3. I'm in awe of the pillows you've made ... love the bold colors!

    So very happy that you linked up to our Pillopalooza slumber party!
    :)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I love me some bold colors!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! I love the graphic stencil and the bright colors!

    Thanks for linking to the Pillopalooza party!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete