Friday, January 6, 2012

I love this pig!

It's true, I love this pig.  His name is Smiley and he was produced by the Shawnee Pottery Company in Ohio probably in the 1940's.  My paternal grandmother had a cookie jar just like him.  One day I hoped he would be mine but hers was destroyed in a fire.

I searched high and low for a Smiley just like hers.  I searched for YEARS.  I looked in antique stores, junk stores, online and anywhere I thought I might find one.  Over the years I found a few.  They were damaged or I couldn't afford them at the time or some other reason.  I found his two friends at a consignment store in my town but never Smiley.  I guess I was meant to wait for the right Smiley, this Smiley.  I found him on Ebay.  I watched the auction everyday.  It ended at o'dark thirty in the morning.  I set an alarm and got up and stumbled to my computer.  As the seconds ticked down I waited and in the last five seconds I placed my bid.  This is a scary thing.  You can lose an auction and miss out or you can win big.

 So here he is in my hutch that my mother gave us when we were first married with other treasures.  He stands proud with his two friends.  Every time I see him I smile.  It brings back wonderful memories of my grandmother and all the cookies she baked.  Although he isn't the "original" Smiley he makes me feel the same way I did when I would get a cookie out of hers.  

Is there something you have searched high and low for?  Something that brings you pleasure because of the memories it evokes?  I hope so.  If not, keep looking for the special item that makes you feel that way.  Your "Smiley" is out there waiting for you.

Love, Love, Kiss, Kiss!
SNM

No comments:

Post a Comment